You've heard it before…a vacation destination is a "playground" of activity. Come to the Madison Valley, and discover a surprising range of ways to play on your vacation.
Want somewhere to go or something to do for the day? Start with the ideas below, and add your own favorites!
- Fishing, fishing, fishing…wade or float the amazing Madison River.
- Hike the Beaverhead National Forest Trails – start at Bear Creek, Jack Creek, Wall Creek, Potosi…
- Ride horses in the back country with an outfitter.
- Picnic at Ennis, Hebgen, Harrison or Sure Shot Lakes.
- Raft the Beartrap Canyon, lower Madison or Gallatin Rivers.
- Golf a round at Madison Meadows.
- Observe the plentiful wildlife.
- Drive the Gravelly Range Road.
- Visit Yellowstone National Park.
- Snowshoe, cross-country ski, or snowmobile in the wintry forests nearby.
- Take a Gold Rush history break in Virginia City and Nevada City where you can pan for gold or ride the steam engine.
- Stop by the Quake Lake Visitors' Center.
- Explore Lewis & Clark Caverns.
- Stand at the headwaters of the Missouri in Three Forks – just like Lewis & Clark did.
- Hunt for little-known ghost towns and mines.
- Tour the Madison Valley History Museum and Blacksmith Shop.
Just for Fun and Shopping Adventures
- Ennis Walking Art Tour
- Unique shops on Main Street
- Excellent restaurants for casual lunch or fine dining
- Western saloons
- Willie's Distillery
- Water of the Gods at Norris Hot Springs
- Bozeman Main Street, and Museum of the Rockies
- Winston Rod Company in Twin Bridges
- Montana Big Sky Carvers Factory in Manhattan
- Old fashioned movie theatre in Ennis
- Live theater in Virginia City